144 cal, 23C/5F/4P/11S.
This is what happens any night when I get bored and go around the kitchen looking for #bakespiration. Mango? Pumpkin seeds? Turmeric?! Might as well throw some ground ginger in there too!
Usually these experiments don’t end so well, but hopefully with something sort of edible that we can consume for breakfast (don’t tell my husband this). This cake however ended up being the dessert highlight of our week so I had to share it with you guys!
It is so mango-ey (a word?), has such a vibrant color from the turmeric, and is so moist thanks to the pumpkin seed butter. And it didn’t even turn green! Woohoo!
- 1 heaping cup chopped mango (I used frozen – about 250 g)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed butter (or any other nut/seed butter – 64 g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar (48 g)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or other wheat flour – 120 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup additional chopped mango as topping (about 100 g)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds to sprinkle (8 g)
Makes 9 slices. Preheat oven to 350 F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment. Blend mango, egg, pumpkin seed butter, vanilla, sugar in a blender or food processor. It’s okay if a few mango pieces remain. Whisk together the dry ingredients, fold in the mango mixture. Pour into pan and top with chopped mango and pumpkin seeds. Bake 20-25 minutes until center is done. Let it cool before slicing. Enjoy!
Hope you make this very original cake and remember to tag @200isplentysweet on Instagram with your pictures!